[sclug] Irritating networking problem

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 08:19:35 UTC 2007

David Given wrote:

> [...] and Ubuntu has, indeed, installed a bunch of iptables rules without me
> asking it to.

That's wierd. FWIW, I'm running 3 different versions of Ubuntu variants
(KUbuntu 6.06 LTS, KUbuntu 7.04, XUbuntu 6.06 LTS) on different boxes,
and none of them do anything like this. I can't speak for "plain"
Ubuntu, but I can't see it doing this by default given that the others
don't.

- Try firing up your preferred package management tool and searching for
"iptables". You may have one of the software firewall packages installed
(as opposed to iptables itself - leave that well alone), in which case
I'd suggest encouraging it to leave.

- Failing that, have a look in /etc/init.d for suspiciously named init
scripts. If you find one, use update-rc.d -f <script> remove to stop it
getting executed at boot.

- If you don't find one, something very odd indeed is going on. At this
point I'd probably start to wonder whether any{one|thing} has r00ted my
machine.

HTH

Will.