[sclug] OpenSuse11.0

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Tue Aug 5 12:22:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Phillip Chandler wrote:

> I found this great howto at
> http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-opensuse11 for setting up
> opensuse11 as a server / firewall/ email etc.
>
> I currently use Clarkconnect, but would like to install suse on another
> hdd, just to see if I can do it.
>
> But the technical question. Can you use suse without your own domain
> name as Im looking at trying to configure the email server part. Im on
> virgin broadband (old ntl) so wanted to make sure that I can use suse to
> pull the email from their server, and distribute out the three users on
> my broadband.

Sure; you'll need something like fetchmail <http://fetchmail.berlios.de/> or
getmail <http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/> in order to retrieve incoming
messages via POP3 or IMAP and inject them into a local MTA (e.g. Sendmail,
Postfix, exim, qmail). Once delivered, you can serve them up via the local
spool or via a POP3 or IMAP server (e.g. dovecot, Cyrus-IMAPd, QPopper) to
networked Mail User Agents (e.g. Thunderbird, Outlook Express). Configured
those MUAs to use your local MTA and have that use your ISP's SMTP server as
its 'smarthost' or 'relayhost'.

If that went over your head, read <http://wiki.mutt.org/?MailConcept>. If it
still doesn't make sense, you might want to carry on with ClarkConnect. :-)

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>