[sclug] Fwd: Re: Program auto start

John Kennedy skebi69 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 08:09:30 UTC 2008

Sorry, did not reply to all...
John

Subject: Re: [sclug] Program auto start
Date: Thursday 14 August 2008
From: John Kennedy <skebi69 at gmail.com>
To: Russell at xtchosting.biz

On Wednesday 13 August 2008 18:24:28 XTC wrote:
> Hi all, as this is my first post a quick intro.
>
> Name: Russell
> Location: Reading
>
> I am newish to linux and running Fedora 9
>
> Enjoy your beer at the meeting and I will try and get to the next one, as I
> am away at the minute.
>
> My problem is that I am trying to auto start pidgin on a computer base in
> Reading whilst I am away. I can ssh into the system and su to root. I was
> advised to do the below
>
> Add a bash script, e.g. ~/bin/gnomesetup
> #!/bin/bash
>
> xset m 1 1
> pidgin &
> xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9"
> xbindkeys -f ~/.xbindkeysrc
>
> I created a file /bin/gnomesetup and added the rest to the file, when I
> rebooted it still did not show up in my messenger list
>
> Many thanks

Not sure if it is a typo in your email but you were advised to add a script to
the bin directory in your home directory (~/bin/gnomesetup) but you added it
to the systems bin directory (/bin/gnomesetup).
The second thing is that you have not called the script at startup. You need
to add the following to your ~/.bash_profile
(/home/<username>/.bash_profile):

test -s ~/bin/gnomesetup && . ~/bin/gnomesetup || true

You also have to make sure that gnomesetup is executable:

chmod 755 ~/bin/gnomesetup

Hope this helps,
John

--
Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter don't mind and
those that mind don't matter.