[sclug] Headphone socket on laptop

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Sun Jan 20 12:50:51 UTC 2008

Tom Carbert-Allen wrote:
> hmmm, asoundconf (sorry for typo) not showing any cards doesn't sound
>  good, but you say you are getting sound from the internal speakers?
> strange

> The intel HDA driver is a multi level affair, it can pretty much
> always find the basics, but needs a pin config to do advanced stuff.
> The fact yours is showing up as "generic" probably means the version
> of ALSA you are running doesn't have and exact pin config for your
> board so it's using a basic pin config based on reference docs not
> real world reports what HP are sending out (they seem to change this
> stuff every board revision for some unknown reason). Try
> upgrading/looking at the source/searching there mail archive to see
> if your boards id has been added/updated. Once you have a full pin
> config you will be able to see all the switchs, the driver supports
> every feature of the chipset, it just doesn't know every OEM's
> implementation of it.

Just tried knoppix: kmix has a separate slider and switch for
headphones. Both knoppix and debian (etch) have same version of kmix
(2.6) and kde (3.5.5). In knoppix kcontrol / 'sound system' the toggle
'enable sound system' was unchecked (!) so I tried that in etch, but it
doesn't make any difference to what I get in kmix.

So I guess there's something different at a lower level between what
kde/kmix is seeing in knoppix and debian. From what Tom says maybe it's
the version of alsa. Anyone got any ideas where to look next?

--
John Stumbles