[sclug] Linux on Sony VAIO laptop (was Re: Headphone socket on laptop)

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 22:55:30 UTC 2008

Hi -

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Pierro wrote:

> I am new to linux operating systems and I want to put xubuntu on my sony
> vaio which is about seven years old. For me this is a question of confidence
> and I want to preserve the windows xp software and run the xubuntu in
> conjunction with it. I know I have to patition the drive to do this but
> xubuntu does not seem to offer this to me in any clear manner.

You probably want to use a partition and filesystem resizing tool. Friends
have successfully used
<http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-bootit-next-generation.htm> in
anger to resize Windows NTFS partitions.

Once you've made some free space, look up your laptop model on
<http://www.linux-laptop.net> where someone will probably have documented
any tweaks that model needs. Hopefully that will be minimal on a seven
year-old machine with a modern distribution. Note that the documentation may
be quite old, so if something appears to be working, then you can probably
skip that part of the documentation.

> Mark Pierro

Best Regards,
Alex.

P.S. it's not really the 'done thing' to just reply to an unrelated message
- this is known as 'thread hijacking'. In future, best to compose a new
message to sclug at sclug.org.uk. Replying to an existing thread will confuse
people who use threaded mail user agents.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>