[sclug] the case of the exploding switch

Stuart Ward stuart.ward at bcs.org
Thu Jul 3 12:48:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Martin Summers <Martin.Summers at ansys.com> wrote:
> The only other things I can think of that have not been mentioned yet are:-
>
> 1) Make sure the metal case of the switch is well earthed if possible. I've lost some switches in the past due to poor earthing when lightning strikes occurred in the area.

When I read this through the first think I thought of was lightning or
static discharge. It doesn't have to be an actual strike, just a
sufficient static build up could do this. Or static discharge for
somewhere else near a cable.

Make sure that all the central equipment is earthed, and that there
are no earth loops created. That is each item bust be earthed in only
one place. Cheepo plastic router boxes here may be a problem.

You might want to make sure the PCs have their cases earthed as well.

-- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143