[sclug] Quiet PSU recommendations

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Thu Jul 3 13:12:48 UTC 2008

After finally getting fed up of the small jet engine in my computer, I
decided to get a new CPU cooler for it. Luckily, before I placed the
order I thought to do some careful investigation using a pencil to stop
the fan, and it actually turns out to be the el cheapo PSU that's making
the noise. (One tiny high-speed rear-mounted fan and it doesn't even
have a grille on the bottom!)

Silent PC Review recommends a couple of Seasonics, but they don't seem
to be available any more. The closest to a recommended model is the
S12II-380 at 42 quid.

However, I've also seen a HiperPower at half the price that claims to be
18dB, quieter than the Seasonic --- but there's no info on that other
than the vendor's (highly suspect) review.

Any recommendations for a quiet 300-ish W PSU? Any other resources I
should look at for information, reviews etc?

--
David Given
dg at cowlark.com