[sclug] mail setup: getmail, dovecot - and exim?

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Sun Jun 1 12:39:31 UTC 2008

Martin Meredith wrote:
> I'd highly suggest that you have seperate mailboxes at the ISPs end for
> doing this. It makes life so much easier!

Not really: I want to be able to filter on rexeps e.g. [jim|james|jamie]
[and.*] (andy/andrew) etc. Even if my current ISP let me do this it's
non-portable between ISPs. Plus I need to have each user getmail-ing the
ISP for their own email.

The way I've got it set up now I just have home-mailserver-box
getmailing the ISP and delivering to local users - as if I were running
a pukka mailhost on my home box.

> I currently use postfix + fetchmail + courier, and I find that fetchmail
> has by far the easiest configuration
--8<-- snip fetchmail config example

Getmail's config is fairly straightforward (must be if I can grok it ;-))

There seems to be something of a holy war going on between fetchmail and
getmail supporters: I'm trying to keep my head down :-)

cheers

--
John Stumbles