[sclug] mail setup: getmail, dovecot - and exim?

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Sun Jun 1 14:33:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 01:39:31PM +0100, John Stumbles wrote:
> There seems to be something of a holy war going on between fetchmail and
> getmail supporters: I'm trying to keep my head down :-)

I've never used getmail, but I ended up reading the code to fetchmail a
few years ago when having some trouble with it, and what with that and
the insane COBOL-like config file syntax, where about half of the things
you see are just padding with no influence on the outcome, I vowed
that if I ever needed to use such a thing again, it would be _anything_
other than fetchmail.

I'm aware that it's trying to solve an evil problem, what with multi-drop
and ISPs not tagging where the mail was originally too etc. but it's
not _essential_ to make the implementation of the solution as disgusting
as the problem.

Anyway, if I'm ever in the unfortunate position of having to suck mail
out of a POP box again, I'll give getmail a try -- I see no possibility
of it being worse than fetchmail.

The irony is that ESR's seminal Cathedral & Bazaar paper was written
about this steaming pile of shite.

Cheers, Phil.