[sclug] apt-get source.list

r.s.redknap@reading.ac.uk r.s.redknap
Fri Jun 20 00:18:00 UTC 2008

On Jun 19 2008, Keith Edmunds wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:22:09 +0100 (BST), r.s.redknap at reading.ac.uk said:
>
>> 2. Does 'apt-get install dosbox' install the first thing it finds in the
>> source.list or would it know to install only the latest version, if it
>> had a choice
>
>Can't help you with the first part, sorry: I don't (yet) have an Eee.
>However, apt-get/aptitude will install the latest version after
>considering all the repositories. You might want to run:
>
>	apt-cache policy dosbox
>
>which will show you a) what version is installed, if any, b) what version
>would be installed (if any), and c) all the versions that it knows about.

Hi, the policy shows this: dosbox: installed 0.65 Candidate 0.65 version
table 0.65-1 0 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

A supplementary question: something along the lines of apt-get install
dosbox /home/user/dosbox-0.72.tar.gz to try and get apt to do its stuff
from the file on the eeepc instead of from the 'net would be useful. I
don't understand the man page enough to know if that's possible, but I hope
there might be a way.

Bob R.