[sclug] Post: See you later Linux

Phillip Chandler phillip.chandler at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 27 08:43:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 22:39 +0100, mskadu at gmail.com wrote:
> not trolling, looking for opinions ;-)
>
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Keith Edmunds <kae at midnighthax.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:34:51 +0100, mskadu at gmail.com said:
> >
> > > I thought I'd share my recent blog post on Linux with the group.
> >
> > Wrong mailing list - trolling is best done at /.
> >
> > Keith

Cant be considered "Looking for opinions" when your blog says you have
already made the decision to dump linux.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1200 running dual boot, win xp and ubuntu 7.10. I
have crossover standard so I can run xp office and dreamweaver from
within linux. Ive found that 8.04 onwards doesnt like me running
dreamweaver from crossover, so Ive stuck with 7.10.

It took me 10 mins initially to get my belkin wireless card working,
then installing wicd so I can have flawless wpa on my belking wireless
router.

Ive also looked at other distros, like fedora and opensuse, but havnt
the IQ to spend the time working out how to get them working for me. My
machine works fantastic and the time  have invested into linux, has been
a wonderfll experience.

If Id known how much work I would have had to do, then maybe I wouldnt
have bothered, but Im glad I did.

Ive found a distro that works 100% for me with the kit I have. Maybe you
should have done the same, and then stuck with it.

Plus Ive found that some forums are full of "Eye candy girlies" (Blokes
mainly, just see the pratts on the ubuntu forums gagging at the bit for
the next release). Ive also seen forums (Debian rickh) where if you
suggest ANYTHING closed source, you get your head ripped off, one post I
was told "Use iceweasel or stick with ubuntu", so much for freedom of
choice.

And then finally Ive found forums / users who will actually help guide
you in the right direction. Linux isnt a hand-holding OS, your expected
to get your hands dirty and at least try and work it out, especially
when your not sure of the answer or what to enter into google. But if
you look like your trying then people will generally help you.

I get the impression you have just installed different OS's, and not
done much work in resolving your problems. And then just merrily gone to
the next distro and did the same. And when you didnt get what you wanted
for little work, you have decided to dump linux, post a "I love windows"
and then decided to let us all know.

Im really sorry for the above, its going to cheese off most of you, but
thats the linux life. I think he could have done it better than the way
he did.