[sclug] Post: See you later Linux

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sat Sep 27 09:11:22 UTC 2008

mskadu at gmail.com wrote:
> Hmm, that's what I keep getting told. Strangely, I have been perfectly happy
> with the way Windows XP works on it. In instances that I did get Linux
> installed on it, it performed way worse than Windows. Over the years I was
> hoping that this would change. But no luck!
> - mayuresh

It was manufactured specifically for Windows XP, so it should be ok.

I have a lot of hardware that works very well with out of the box
various linux's, but also an occasional machine that is a problem
(laptop of course). However, I have continued to use it with linux anyway.

Freedom sometimes comes at a price of some inconvenience.

You appear to have made up your mind about linux use. I regret that
you had such difficulty, it is exactly what most out of date media
articles would have led you to expect. However, the present reality is
quite different, the gnu/linux offerings are developing at speed, and
quite a number of manufacturers are rapidly jumping on the linux
bandwagon.

You will generally expect to get an easier ride into new territory if
you use a pre installed OS, (Windows MAC or Linux) - have you
considered a Dell with pre installed linux?
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391