[sclug] Post: See you later Linux

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sat Sep 27 18:35:28 UTC 2008

The hardware issues you are finding and your understandable reaction
support the view that you are not free to choose what OS to use.

You were not free when you made the original purchases - the machines
came with windows only, and now when you want a choice, you are
apparently finding they are not capable of using anything else.

The situation is not simply one of technical merit, this is a somewhat
narrow view. There are any number of powerful interests wanting to
limit your choice - your freedom in fact - to their own advantage. It
seems that unfortunately so far, they are succeeding in making it hard
enough that you remain as you are without the freedom you desire.

The free software activities worldwide are driven by the principles of
obtaining and maintaining freedom, more than the lesser goal of being
gratis.

I do not criticise you if your efforts to date are not fruitful enough
to make big changes, but I make the point that freedom is hard won and
easily lost, and there is no certainty that freedom will actually win.

I welcome that you are keeping an open mind about linux.

I ask you to also consider how you would feel if a large powerful
company antagonistic to linux managed by clever use of money, patents,
and other means of control, to gain a strangelhold on the situation
and extinguished the flame of freedom?

BTW did you know that Page up and Page down have just recently been
patented?

alan c

--
alan cocks