[sclug] Post: See you later Linux

Matt Dainty matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Mon Sep 29 12:42:47 UTC 2008

* Alex Butcher <lug at assursys.co.uk> [2008-09-27 15:22:16]:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, mskadu at gmail.com wrote:
>
> >I thought I'd share my recent blog post on Linux with the group.
> >
> >http://mytechieself.blogspot.com/2008/09/see-you-later-linux.html
>
> Seeing as it was the ACPI/Gnome Power Manager issue that appears to have
> been the straw that broke your back, did you:
>
> a) consider booting with acpi=off, then disabling gnome-power-manager?
> (since it's almost a cosmetic thing only, once you know roughly how long
> your battery lasts for).

I also used to run Linux on a Sony Vaio Laptop a few years ago (Alex
might remember it ;-) and that had a hardware trait where the battery
status wasn't reported correctly

It turned out the bytes to report this were swapped barse ackwards in
memory so my laptop model (and a few others) were blacklisted in the
kernel and fixed up in code.

So it's not a new thing, been there, done that, got the t-shirt, made
the website:

http://www.bodgit-n-scarper.com/sony.html

Matt
--
"The theory of Space and Time is a cultural artefact made possible by
the invention of graph paper."