[sclug] Problem with CD drives after rebuild

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 12 11:49:18 UTC 2009

Okay, thanks to both Tom and Alex.

Bizarrely, having disconnected the two drives in turn and discovered that
they work independantly, I've just reconnected them both - and they now work
correctly. I have no useful explanation for this, because it's not as if I
didn't try disconnecting and reconnecting them before I posted my first plea
for help, but maybe I have a dodgy connection in the cable. I don't know. If
I have further trouble with the CD drives the cable will be my first port of
call.

Tom, as a precaution I'll take you up on that offer of a cable if you don't
mind, and I'll collect when I next pass your door (maybe later today if the
missus gets her way on the afternoon's activities, failing which probably
sometime next week).

It's been an instructive if frustrating exercise, and thank you both for the
useful advice. I've learned a few things, including not to be such a numpty.
:-)

One last thought - could this have been nothing to do with the cable, and
simply have been caused by dislodged dust on the drive 'lasers'?

Neil.