[sclug] Serial terminal emulator wanted

Bob Dunlop bob.dunlop at xyzzy.org.uk
Thu Apr 16 08:21:49 UTC 2009

Hi,

> Does anyone know where I can find a serial terminal emulator for Linux
> that isn't utterly shite? By which I mean, of course, something other
> than Minicom.

Yep minicom is one of those applications that should never be used.

I take the divide and conquer approach and use two smaller applications.

aterm is a pretty good VT102 emulator for X.  xterm also, or the linux
console does a fair VT100.  So run one of these and you have a terminal
emulator.

picocom does serial comms, you can set baudrate and other parameters from
the command line which is a lot better than mucking about with obscure
format config files.  It does not do terminal emulation just passes the
raw data to your terminal.

So running picocom from within aterm gives you simple serial comms with
a good VT102 emulation.  Actually the emulation is a superset of VT102
so if the remote box is unix based perhaps with a ncurses terminal
database you can add colour, terminal resizing and curses mouse support
by specifying TERM=rxvt.

--
        Bob Dunlop