[sclug] Tinternet access problem

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Tue Jul 28 10:16:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Dickon Hood wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 23:35:33 +0100, Alex Butcher wrote:
> : On Mon, 27 Jul 2009, Dickon Hood wrote:
> : >On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 15:27:59 +0100, Alex Butcher wrote:
> : >: And I bet
> : >: AOL/TalkTalk won't admit that their infrastructure is duff, not to a
> : >lowly
> : >: customer.  :-/
>
> : >What on earth possessed you to use them?
>
> : I don't, I'm with Eclipse. My dad's using TalkTalk because they're less than
> : a tenner a month, and any broadband is better than 56K dialup.
>
> ...when it works.

*sigh*

The same could be said of dialup, especially since he was using the free
ISPs.

Try keeping a current Linux desktop install up-to-date with 56k dialup then
come back to me...

IMHO, his <?10 a month is good value for money, and delivers significantly
better performance than my Eclipse ADSL connection at about three times the
price.  It doesn't have the same features, though, and Eclipse's tech
support is still better (i.e.  I can make them take responsibility when it's
BT's or their fault), even after the KCOM buyout.

Best Regards,
Alex