[sclug] Pirate Party UK and Free software

John Barron mail at europa.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 7 22:00:12 UTC 2009

On Saturday 07 November 2009 13:09:48 Alex Butcher wrote:
> I've been following with interest the formation of PPUK policy on your
>  Wiki, especially that with respect to copyright, bearing in mind rms'
>  remarks that the Swedish PP's policy backfires with respect to Free
>  software
> (<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pirate-party.html>).

Good to hear you've been interested to follow it - and yes, we've taken this
concern very seriously, I've had a few email exchanges with RMS a while back,
and we've been working on incorporating suitable methods to address this into
our policy.

It's tricky to do right, however, we understand the issue and there are
excellent principled and pragmatic reasons to address that weakness in the
Swedish policy. On the other hand, whatever we do has to fit in and make sense
with regard to the rest of our policy and our proposals for copyright in other
areas than software, and we want our proposal for free software to be in some
sense fair and equitable to both open and closed software, and in comparison
to other works, we wish to avoid making special concessions or giving special
treatment to _any_ special interest group (even if many of us *do* love free
software!).

> (Presumably) your contribution to the Wiki discussion
> <http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/wiki/Talk:Copyright_Policy_Working_Group>
> mentions that the PPUK's draft policy will address rms' concerns; has the
> draft policy been formulated yet?

Yes - in fairness the wiki was mainly used in the earlier stage of policy
development, the discussions then moved into the PPUK forums, which I'm afraid
are members-only. So you are welcome to join in those discussions, direct
involvement in policy formation is restricted to PPUK members however. You
will see there our full draft policy, discussions relating, the feedback we
received from RMS, etc, etc.

However, I don't think I'm spilling any "party secrets" to share a quick
update on where our policy formation process is at on this area, just bear in
mind that none of this is official yet and the final manifesto could be different.

Initially we considered in the draft policy the possibility of giving the same
copyright protection to any software, open or closed, with no difference, but
requiring that closed vendors place their source code in escrow to be made
available when copyright expired.

This is clear, and I think there was a consensus that  it was 'in principle'
sound, and that this would be exactly equitable - older free software could be
incorporated in closed programs, but any amendments would in time become free,
and older closed software would become available on the same timescale for
free use, after the proprietary vendors had enjoyed a limited period of
exclusive control during which they could earn a reward.

However, there were substantial concerns expressed about the practical
implications of actually implementating that, and problems which might result.
The membership therefore rejected the escrow proposal, sending the policy
group "back to the drawing board".

The alternative suggestion was to give open software a greater duration of
copyright than closed, which doesn't have the neat equitable balance of the
escrow options (it's much more a rough-and-ready compromise), however is
perhaps simpler to implement/administer in the real world.

So something based on that is in the current draft, to give software where
source code is released (whatever license) a longer period of protection than
software released without source code, and which is intended to meet the
concerns that RMS raised. We would consider other options, I haven't yet seen
any specific proposals however, and also we'd have to persuade RMS/the FSF it
was ok... so longer protection for software with source provided is on the
table at present.

However, I do get some flak on this issue from some PPUK members, who don't see
a need to treat software/source code differently to any other media, whereas I
certainly can, in at least two regards. At present it looks like the duration
we will propose for general copyright (not just software) will be up to a
maximum of 10 years - that's been reported in the media, so I think it's okay
for me to mention, again that's not absolutely set in stone yet however.

If you have any views on this, I'd welcome of course any contributions to this
on the PPUK forums; there is an open forum area, however given that there have
been extensive internal/member discussions, if any of you are already PPUK
members or would consider joining then you might want to review those
discussions and contribute there, rather than comment blind on the open
forums.

OK so I'm just like any other politician, I just want to see more of those
membership fees rolling in! It's only ?10 for over 21 (?2 for under) however
if you do sympathise with our overall aims (as, in fact, RMS clearly does),
and our membership gets direct input as you'll see into our policy formation,
it's not decided by the executive in a top-down manner.

All the best
John