[sclug] Cent OS 5.3 Server Edition Problem

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Oct 3 22:09:59 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 10:07:10PM +0100, Matthew Cox wrote:
> It installed okay (via net install disk), however on boot it does a check
> for hardware changes, and after that it gives the following error which
> repeats and talks about disabling it for 5 minutes:

> 'cannot execute: /sbin/mingetty'

> I haven't been able to find anything directly involving the same problem as
> me, but was wondering if anyone has any pointers as to where to go from
> here?

I don't know how you've got into this state but you could try booting
with init=/bin/sh (via grub) to get you into the system at all.

You should then be able to have a look around at /sbin/mingetty and
/etc/inittab (which is what'll be running it) to find out what's up.

For our sins, we have CentOS at work and I've never seen this before.

--
----------( "What do you find bracing Basil?  the damp, the  )----------
----------(   drizzle, the fog ..." - Sybil, Fawlty Towers   )----------