[sclug] sclug Digest, Vol 73, Issue 3

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 5 16:35:10 UTC 2009

 I suggest you regress to 7.10. If

> you had no problems with it, then there isn't any need to upgrade.
> Unless you are desperate for a certain package, it should be perfectly
> fine and secure. However, before you do that, conciser trying a LTS
> release, namely 8.04. This will be supported for a long time, and in
> my experience, has fewer problems that jaunty.

Thanks. I considered reverting to 7.10, and would have been happy to stay
there had I had access to the repositories as they were at the time of
withdrawal of support, but I quickly found myself high and dry and wanting
more stuff. I looked at 8.04 but it doesn't offer the nvidia proprietary
driver,  which is a must for me. The FOSS driver is too slow on my machine.

If someone can reassure me that I can get the nvidia binary driver installed
on 8.04 without having to stand on one leg and bay at the moon, I'd be happy
to go with Hardy. Otherwise I might give Fedora 11 a spin - nothing to lose
really.

TIA

Neil.