[sclug] Ubuntu issues

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 6 17:51:12 UTC 2009

> Thanks. I considered reverting to 7.10, and would have been happy to stay
> there had I had access to the repositories as they were at the time of
> withdrawal of support, but I quickly found myself high and dry and wanting
> more stuff. I looked at 8.04 but it doesn't offer the nvidia proprietary
> driver,  which is a must for me. The FOSS driver is too slow on my machine.
>
> If someone can reassure me that I can get the nvidia binary driver
> installed
> on 8.04 without having to stand on one leg and bay at the moon, I'd be
> happy
> to go with Hardy. Otherwise I might give Fedora 11 a spin - nothing to lose
> really.
> > > The repositories for no-longer-supported releases aren't withdrawn,
> > > they're moved:-
> > >
> > > http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/

Isn't that just the basic ISO? What I missed was the repositories that
aptitude connected to to get the 22000 odd packages they had available, plus
all the updates up until they withdrew support in April. I can't see them at
that url (although I might be staring at it without realising :-)

> On Mon, October 5, 2009 5:35 pm, Neil Haughton wrote:
>
> > If someone can reassure me that I can get the nvidia binary driver
> > installed
> > on 8.04 without having to stand on one leg and bay at the moon
>
> I've used the nvidia proprietary driver through all recent versions on
> several desktop/laptop machines without any problems.  Certainly including
> 8.04.
>
> What makes you think it isn't available?

I read it in the forums, that it broke the latest xorg and the official
Canonical line was to buy an ATI Rage or similar card, because nvidia would
not open-source their driver (rant, rant etc) so C simply weren't going to
bother with it. That was the gist, although 'official' may not have been so.
I can only go on what I read, and I decided to hold off until a few months
after 9.04 arrived and try that, which I did. Perhaps I'll give 8.04 a try
instead - where is the nvidia driver obtained from? The aptitude
repositories, or the Restricted Drivers tool, or elsewhere?

Neil.