[sclug] Ubuntu issues

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Oct 6 17:58:28 UTC 2009

2009/10/6 Neil Haughton <haughtonomous at googlemail.com>:
>> > > http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/
>>

> Isn't that just the basic ISO?

No.

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/ -> ISOs
http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ -> Repo.

So instead of this in your sources.list:-

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu main

You have:-

deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ main

And so on..

>> What makes you think it isn't available?
>>
> I read it in the forums, that it broke the latest xorg and the official
> Canonical line was to buy an ATI Rage or similar card, because nvidia would

I've not seen any Canonical official advise of that kind at all. Many
will advocate the use of open source drivers which support 3d
acceleration on ATI cards though over nVidia cards with the binary
driver.

> I can only go on what I read, and I decided to hold off until a few months
> after 9.04 arrived and try that, which I did. Perhaps I'll give 8.04 a try
> instead - where is the nvidia driver obtained from? The aptitude
> repositories, or the Restricted Drivers tool, or elsewhere?

Either/Both

See the documentation for details:-

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ubuntu+nvidia

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia