[sclug] sclug Digest, Vol 73, Issue 6

Stuart Ward stuart.ward at bcs.org
Tue Oct 13 20:12:44 UTC 2009

2009/10/9 Dickon Hood <dickon-ml at fluff.org>:
> On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 20:13:51 +0100, Neil Haughton wrote:
> : > I have about a bajillion username/password pairs for all sorts of
> : > things. Right now I have a big list of them in a location that's not as
> : > secure as I would like.
>
> : > Can anyone suggest a trustworthy online password repository for storing
> : > this sort of stuff?
Online no.

> : Your head. Short of torture it's completely secure. Honest! :-)
>
> It's also lossy.
>
> Personally, I use a GPGed textfile and an ssh client. ?Job done. ?And yes,
> I am capable of typing my passphrase on my mobile, should I need account
> details on a machine I don't entirely trust or one which has no ssh
> client...
>
> --
> Dickon Hood

I use password safe on Windows, there is password gorilla for linux
which is compatible. but it is not as polished as password safe. The
password database encryption is pretty good so if you choose a good
password for it it is fairly robust. You can put the database file up
on the internet somewhere. But the real benefit is that you can use
the password generate function to generate good passwords for all your
websites so that you can use a different password for every site.

Stuart Ward