[sclug] Meets

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Sep 13 21:08:21 UTC 2009

John Stumbles wrote:
> alan c wrote:
>
>>> Interesting point. I've been to a couple of meets, but the trouble was that
>>> it was so noisy in the pub that I had to shout to communicate with person
>>> next to me, and the rest of the conversation down the longish table was
>>> completely lost to me. Tried it twice and disappointed, gave up.
>>
>> A long time ago, I went to my first sclug meet. I was embarrassed and
>> not confident. Unfortunately, after I arrived, I could not see any
>> sign of linux symbols in any way, and being new, I did not recognise
>> anyone. I did not meet up with any group although of course as in any
>> pub there were a number of obvious groups present. I went home feeling
>> downhearted and foolish.
>>
>> I did return another month and I was able to make contact with lug
>> attenders, and had a meal (very enjoyable) and a bit of chat.
>> Unfortunately, the pub environment was impossibly noisy for me, most
>> particularly when information content was/is required in speech, like
>> unfamiliar names and topics. But ok for talking low information
>> content such as weather or parking.
>
> ---8<--- snip ---8<---
>
> There's another one-evening-a-month group I go to which meets at Global
> Cafe (RISC) in London St (runs between Queens Rd/IDR and London Road).
> It's quiet enough for a small group to talk and hear each other (though
> they sometimes have live music on - that's usually later in the week but
> occasionally on Wednesdays). The atmosphere is friendly with people of
> all ages & types. They have a real Czech(sp?) budwar on draught, various
> bottled beers, ciders & wines, proper coffee & teas and food
> (veggie/organic/wholefood). And I think they have wifi (don't use it
> myself: my ubuntu lappy has enough trouble doing wired, I haven't even
> bothered trying to persuade wireless to fly for months :-()

Thanks John, I did not know about that. Is there a way to find out
specifically when that group meets, and any cancellations etc? Do they
have a website or a published schedule?

iirc the wifi there was implemented by a present or past sclug list
member, I have used it on an occasional lunchtime.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user