[sclug] sclug Digest, Vol 72, Issue 8

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 16 07:31:31 UTC 2009

2009/9/15 Alex Butcher <lug at assursys.co.uk>

> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009, Neil Haughton wrote:
>
> I found by trial and error that I could get it to work with no security
>> and then with WEP, but not with WPA or WPA2.  I'm not sure why this is.
>>

> Some drivers don't support the necessary extensions to support WPA and
> WPA2.
>
> What card do you have, and what driver is it using?
>
> Neil.
>>

> Best Regards,
> Alex

Alex,

It's a Netgear WG311 (V3 - the Marvel chipset). There is no native Linux
driver available for the chipset so I'm using the Windows XP driver supplied
with the card in conjunction with ndiswrapper, as I did with Ubuntu 7.10
(Gutsy).

WPA2 worked with Gutsy (although it had a habit of forgetting the password)
and I already have wpasupplicant installed in Jaunty apparently (Synaptic
shows it as installed), so does that mean this is a NetManager problem?

Neil.
.