[sclug] OT: Two weeks with the HTC Hero and Android OS

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Feb 12 21:32:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, David Given wrote:

> On 12/02/10 15:01, Alex Butcher wrote:
> [...]
>>   It's silkscreened as Class 2 (2MByte/s), but I've benchmarked it reading
>>   at 10MByte/s and writing at 1MByte/s. I suspect they just buy whatever's
>>   cheapest on the spot market, and sometimes it'll be faster.
>
> That is *seriously* slow. I've never seen any SD card slower than class
> 4, and most big stuff these days is class 6.
>
> OTOH given that Android doesn't store apps on the SD card and only uses
> it for heavy data hauling, I doubt that it would matter here.

I should add that that was copying a bunch of files from ext3 on hard disc
to the FAT32 filesystem on the memory card, via a ?1.49 USB adapter. I've
just done a fairer test:

# time dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/xxxx-xxxx/dummyfile bs=10485760 count=20
20+0 records in
20+0 records out
209715200 bytes (210 MB) copied, 33.4529 s, 6.3 MB/s

Does that suggest it's actually Class 6 or better, given there are about
3.7GB of files (including 221MB of newsrob stories) already on there?

Best Regards,
Alex