[sclug] Community Support

Jason Rivers jason at jasonrivers.co.uk
Thu Jun 3 09:52:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 10:34:41 +0100, Jonathan H N Chin
<jc254 at newton.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Matthew Daubney <matt at daubers.co.uk> wrote:
>> My question is this, What drives you to help support random strangers
on
>> Linux for no reward?
>
> I don't think people do. They expect the help will be returned.
>
> Compare: gift economy; paying forward; enlightened self-interest.
>
> Contrast: the tragedy of the commons / tyranny of small decisions

I'm not sure everyone expects it to be returned. For me it's more about
having things working right. I like things that work as they should.
Things
that don't work as they should seem to bother me and I have an feeling
that
I have to fix it. It doesn't really matter if it's with the OpenSource
stuff or the other OS's, if it's not right, I'll try and fix it, however I
lean very much to "this seems to work much better on Linux" and do try
telling people that they would benefit from using it. I also don't like
fixing virus / malware issues, and these happen much less on Linux than
they do with Windows.