[sclug] Meeting and Key Signing

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Nov 25 23:04:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:40:12 +0000, Steve Moore <steve at betabuild.net> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi and welcome,

> I had some email problems earlier so I'm not sure if this got through.
> Apologies if it did.
>
> My name is Steve Moore and I am interested in attending your next
> meeting on 8th December. I have been using Linux for several years now
> and it would be nice to meet other Linux users.
>
> I would also like to get my PGP key signed which is available from the
> usual key servers or directly from here
> <http://www.betabuild.net/steve.gpg.asc>. If you would like your keys
> signed please send me your details in advance so I can verify your
> email addresses.

Most people who indulge in this sort of thing regularly (so, Debian
developers, basically ;-) do the email confirmation by emailing the
signatures in an encrypted mail to each signed address.

caff is a nice tool for doing this, which is packaged in Debian and
chums in the 'signing-party' package -- I think the RedHat camp have it
in a 'pgp-tools' package.

That being the case, all you need for key signing is government issued
photo ID (some people only accept a passport), and some key slips that
have the fingerprint of your key, along with email addresses you want
signed -- so, in your case the output of:

   gpg --fingerprint 07543718

Cheers, Phil.