[sclug] Linking an XP box and Debian box via router

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 1 18:50:45 UTC 2011

Small problem here: I have a WinXP box (wifey's) and my debian box both
hooked up to a router-modem, so we can both access t'internet. That bit
works okay.

Now we want to move files between them, and also allow the XP box to access
the printer attached to my Debian box. Should be simple but it won't work. I
can ping WinXP -> debian  but not debian -> WinXP. Nor can my Deb box see
shared folders on the XP box, although I have Samba installed. I have
checked that the router shows both machines are attached.

I am probably being a numpty but my hair is silver and I'm getting slow :-(
and I have obviously missed something vital - can anyone suggest what that
missing link might be?

I ought to mention that neither box has its own firewall running - that job
is delegated to the router.

TIA

Neil.