[sclug] Linking an XP box and Debian box via router

Dickon Hood dickon-ml at fluff.org
Fri Jul 1 19:42:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 19:50:45 +0100, Neil Haughton wrote:
: Small problem here: I have a WinXP box (wifey's) and my debian box both
: hooked up to a router-modem, so we can both access t'internet. That bit
: works okay.

: Now we want to move files between them, and also allow the XP box to access
: the printer attached to my Debian box. Should be simple but it won't work. I
: can ping WinXP -> debian  but not debian -> WinXP. Nor can my Deb box see
: shared folders on the XP box, although I have Samba installed. I have
: checked that the router shows both machines are attached.

: I am probably being a numpty but my hair is silver and I'm getting slow :-(
: and I have obviously missed something vital - can anyone suggest what that
: missing link might be?

You're playing with toys, but you know that.

: I ought to mention that neither box has its own firewall running - that job
: is delegated to the router.

Can you post your various IP addresses?  Static?  Dynamic?  Where's your
DHCP server?  What does it say?

Dickon Hood
--
Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the

This email was sent from a colocated server, and needs no excuses.