[sclug] NAS

Jason Rivers jason at jasonrivers.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 13:59:55 UTC 2011

I have done this using FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org/) it works
very well, and has a lot of options. (though i used the RAID from my
mainboard SATA system so never toyed with that on it)

The problem at
the moment, is due to floods in Thailand, you're not even going to be
able to built yourself something for under ?150 - the disks alone will
cost you more than this.

I used an ITX Board from LinITX.com to build
this, These are very low powered, and hacked an ATX Case for drive
support and to hold the ITX board.

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 13:46:12
+0000, Neil Haughton wrote:

> Has anyone built themselves a low-power
NAS?

> I need to make my burgeoning collection of photos and music
files (and
> other things) more resilient than at present (currently it
is all on a
> single SATA drive). I have looked at commercial NAS
offerings but frankly
> ?150 upwards is a little steep for me, so I want
to see if I can build one
> for somewhat less. Just two mirrored drives
would do me, FreeNAS probably
> as the OS (unless there are other Linuxy
recommendations), and an Ethernet
> port so it can plug into my router.
Must be able to reuse my current SATA
> drive, and must be able to stay
on for long periods without burning up my
> paltry salary so a low power
processor essential.

> And I must be able to fit and forget.
>
> If
you've built something that meets the above I would be interested (for

starters) in the parts list so I can cost it.