[sclug] Winter project

ed neville ed at s5h.net
Wed May 15 18:14:20 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 08:56:31PM +0100, Neil Haughton wrote:
> I've been musing over what actually to do with my Pi apart from play with
> it when I have the time, and I thought a good use for it, to while away the
> forthcoming winter evenings and also to put it to good practical use, would
> be to use it to remotely control my central heating.

What would be a better idea perhaps would be to control a log burning
stove. Once the flue pipe reaches X degrees open the vents a little.
When the temperature reaches Y close the vents. If the temperature is <Y
then turn a stepper motor to open the stove door and insert either home
fire coals or logs with <20% moisture, close the door and lock the
handle.

Of course, perhaps the above is only sane up the end of the second
sentence, perhaps the pi should page the stove engineer to carry out
appropriate maintenance.

If you're lucky enough to have GCH then monitoring the amount of fuel
burnt would be awesome and linking the pi to monitor a carbon monoxide
detector would also be highly desirable (is the former even possible?).

I'll go back to dreaming of a parallel world where I might have GCH.

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/