[sclug] Shell accounts?

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Wed Dec 3 22:45:12 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 10:12:16PM +0100, David Given wrote:
> Are shell servers still a useful thing? Has anyone used Mythic Beast's
> product (e.g. I'd be interested to know whether I actually share a real
> machine or get a single-user environment in a chroot or jail)? What are
> the security implications like? Any other products I should look at?

We sold bits of Black Cat to Mythic so I'm not unbiased.

At the time our shell accounts were on a shared machine but with
appropriate resource and access lock downs so to you it looked like you
were in a jail or container (using grsecurity at the time).
That was all a long time ago so I've no idea what they do now.

I've remained a customer though so I can attest to the fact that if you
ask those questions nicely to one of their email addresses you should
get a prompt and clueful reply.

To be honest though I would probably ask you why you want shell access.
If it's just CGI and webhosting find somewhere that does just that?

--
 _        huggie at earth.li      -+*+-     fou, con et anglais      _
(_)                "Her name is Bambi?" - Scully                 (_)