[Scottish] Small distros

Kevin McDermott scottish@mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 23 15:44:01 2002

* Brian Eley <beley@cis.strath.ac.uk> [Aug 23. 2002 15:08]:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend any small, novice friendly distros for use on some 486s
> / early pentiums? I've got some free time and some machines itching to be
> tinkered with :-) I plan to network them as well, and generally have a good
> ol' footer.
>
> Do any places sell such distros on CDs, as i'm only on a 56K connection and
> can't download anything too big.

First, if you're looking to buy Linux, then www.linuxemporium.co.uk is a great bet.

They have vector linux available to buy, for 2.50UKP.

Peanut is also a small linux, but, I see it's now up to ~225MB.

As one other respondent pointed out, Slackware is on one of the mags this month, and I'd consider it a fairly small Linux.

If downloading them is a problem, then keep an eye on PC-Plus/Linux Format and the other mags available in Borders, as they're quite often featured on the Cover disks, particularly the Linux Format DVD edition.

HTH

Kevin