[Scottish] Small distros

Phil Deane scottish@mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 23 15:46:01 2002

wrote :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can anyone recommend any small, novice friendly distros for use on so=
me
> > 486s / early pentiums? I've got some free time and some machines itch=
ing
> > to be tinkered with :-) I plan to network them as well, and generally
> > have a good ol' footer.
> >
> > Do any places sell such distros on CDs, as i'm only on a 56K connecti=
on
> > and can't download anything too big.
>
> Mandrake 8.2 also does a minimal install

Mandrake 8.2 is for pentium only. Not for 486. The graphical install witl=
l=20
only run if you have at least 48/64 Meg RAM or more. Not worth the effort=
=2E=20
You could streamline a RH install, or maybe a debian install.

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk is a good place to start. Or if you google=
 for=20
small linux distro you will find some small ones. I am sure there is one =
out=20
there that is a 30-50 meg download (1 1/2-2 1/2 on a 56k) which include X=
 and=20
a window manager as well.

--=20

Phil Deane