[Scottish] [OT] Need an ISP

William Anderson scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Aug 27 22:54:00 2002

Phil Deane wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> I currently use BTOPenworld Anytime package, but the name should be
> sueable under the Trades description act in my opinion. On 2
> occasions I have been connected for 12+ hours per day and they are
> terminating my account next week.
>
> So I am looking for another ISP. Something that doesn't mind long
> connections (Sometimes I download RPM's etc) also something like Bt I
> can pay £xx per month with no call charges.

Your only real option, if you don't want forced disconnects (step up NTL,
Freeserve, BTO, etc), is Demon Internet.  Go with the Premier Connect Plus
package (19.99UKP/mo incl. VAT) plus Surftime Anytime (now sadly 25UKP/mo
incl. VAT).

I had a Demon PCP account from Jan to Oct 2001, connecting via my SmoothWall
box, and was regularly connected for days, and occasionally weeks, at a
time, without complaint from either BT or Demon.  It did scare people though
when I showed them 100+ hour phone calls on my bill ;)

Yes, it's expensive but you get:

 - static IP address
 - unlimited connect time
 - inbound SMTP mail delivery

and quite a few other features.

http://www.demon.net/products/access/premier-plus.html for more info.

Yes there are other ISPs which offer some of those features for less, but I
don't know of any who do them all.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'