[Scottish] [OT] Need an ISP

Andrew Back scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 28 10:01:00 2002

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Phil Deane wrote:

> Hi Folks
>
> I currently use BTOPenworld Anytime package, but the name should be sueab=
le
> under the Trades description act in my opinion. On 2 occasions I have bee=
> connected for 12+ hours per day and they are terminating my account next
> week.

I used to work for a large ISP that did the same to the biggest users of
it's un-metered service. And I understand many others do. Unless things
have changed the deal they have with BT is such that if you do over 'n'
hours a month they lose money. And that number isn't that great. This even
applies to those ISPs with Annexe II inclusion (a Telco 'license'), who
get benefits others don't.

> So I am looking for another ISP. Something that doesn't mind long connect=
ions
> (Sometimes I download RPM's etc) also something like Bt I can pay =A3xx p=
er
> month with no call charges.
>
> I can't get ADSL/NTL cable as its not in my area, or at least not in my s=
treet
> as it is a private road. So dialup is the answer for me.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? URL's and costs would be most helpful.

I looked into this recently for connectivity in the Western Isles. As
someone pointed out demon don't do dual channel ISDN access via a POP
un-metered users can access. Pipex offer this but for un-contended dual
channel ISDN the cost was >100quid/month IIRC. And 64K ain't much better
than analogue dial, in terms of bandwidth anyway. If it's for business, or
you have a quid or two to spend theres always satellite. I believe you can
get a service for ~80/month, and the connection is often >512Kbps.

Andrew