[Scottish] Free Router!

Graeme Mathieson scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 28 10:21:00 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 10:02:49AM +0100, Ian Drake, IT, CIR, SE Dunbartonshire wrote:

> Apart from the fact it's one of the most powerful/useful routers that money
> can buy, it's also one of the cheapest - it's FREE (both beer & speech,
> which is good, because free beer normally increases speech) Tell all your
> friends about it.

Though the hardware to do the line protocol conversion usually isn't
free.  And chucking good enough quality hardware at it to route stuff as
fast as humanly possible (trying to do routing linespeed between 8
100MBit network interfaces, for example) isn't exactly cheap either.

IOS isn't necessarily the expensive bit of a Cisco router.

Of course, I use Linux boxen for all my routing needs anyway. :-)
--
mathie+sig@wossname.org.uk          "If you ever need anything please don't
http://www.wossname.org.uk/~mathie/  hesitate to ask someone else first.