[Scottish] HTML templating software?

Robert(Rob) M. Schneider scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 3 06:32:00 2002

David,

Far as I know (and I continue to look) there is nothing which comes close to
Microsoft FrontPage for these features.  Your pages are static, wish to have
templates, themes, etc. etc. As you observed, PHP is probably not what you
want (it' a programming language).

There are quite a few tools in Linux dealing with editing HTML and XML pages,
but nothing I've found for building/managing web "sites".   When I read
reviews of web site tools in the Linux magazines, they tend to focus on web
"page" development  and then jump to the other side of the spectrum to talk
bout "programing" web pages. Very big leap with a lot of ground missed--but
filled nicely with Front Page.

I retain my Windows setup to run FrontPage.  I use Win4Lin on the desktop,
and I'm increasingly using rdesktop to access and remotely use an XP box for
this purpose.

You can supplement FrontPage's publishing capability with something like
"sitecopy" (search Google for this word to find it's home page) to publish
(move from development server to production server) by command or by a
sheduled cron job in Linux.