[Scottish] HTML templating software?

Graeme Mathieson scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 3 10:15:00 2002

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 06:30:33AM +0000, Robert(Rob) M. Schneider wrote:

> There are quite a few tools in Linux dealing with editing HTML and XML pages,
> but nothing I've found for building/managing web "sites".

WML[1].  Really.  It's not the easiest thing to get your head around and
build up a website structure from, but once you get started, it's pretty
trivial.  For example, if I want to create a new page for my website:

--start--
#use wml::wossname::mathie::common
#use wml::wossname::mathie::navigation

<subject "New Page" />

--end--

which will create all the widgets and formatting for my standard website
look (which you can see at http://www.wossname.org.uk/~mathie/).

I have even more customised templates for (for example) my software
page, so writing about a program I've developed is as simple as:

--start--
#use wml::wossname::mathie::common
#use wml::wossname::mathie::navigation
#use wml::wossname::mathie::software

<subject "Silly Software" />

<sw-list title="Scriptettes" box="scripts_box">
  <sw-item a="foo.pl" src="foo.pl.gz" title="Foo Perl Script">
  </sw-item>
</sw-list>
--end--

which will produce something along the lines of:

http://www.wossname.org.uk/~mathie/software/

You can get WML to run lumps of Perl to emit HTML at build time, as I do
to automatically pull my latest GPG key into the website.

Of course, if you're looking for some graphical interface to click and
drool over, it's probably not what you're looking for.  But it's pretty
flexible and easy to use once it's setup.  See
http://www.ixtab.org.uk/jjm/ to see what you can do by nicking my
templates and modifying them.  And I see that not a lot of effort was
put into modifying them either. :-)

[1] No, not that WML, http://thewml.org/ :-)
--
Right now, there are scr1pt k1dd13s plotting to DDoS my network, my co-lo
server is not responding  to pings and  the people that I IRC with may be