[Scottish] HTML templating software?

Aidan Skinner scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 3 15:07:00 2002

http://www.w3.org, sepcifically http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/

> does.  I think it's a bit of a red herring issue.  I'm pretty sure it
> complies to standards to a greater extent than hand-coding HTML would.  And

Hand coded html is very easy to make standards compliant. Writing
standards compliant html is pretty easy, especially with tools like
http://validator.w3.org/ available for free.

Autogenerated html is also easy to make standards compliant, however a
lot of tools fail miserably in this respect.

Standards are very important for a whole bunch of reasons, but
ultimately the internet just Would Not Work if people didn't stick to
them as best they can. And that's the point, nobody is asking you to be
100% standards compliant 100% of the time (especially with horribly
broken things like IE6 around), but as a responsible net user you should
make every effort to be as compliant as you can, and especially to fix
compliance issues when they affect other people.

> re sitecopy and rsynch ... keep in mind that rsynch is not an ftp-based tool,
> and you (I think) need rsynch on the server also to make it work for web

you need a shell and rsync for rsync to work. There are tools like
mirror available though.

- Aidan