[Scottish] HTML templating software?

Robert(Rob) M. Schneider scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 3 14:40:00 2002

David,

You don't have to use FrontPage "Editor".  Use any editor you like.  But it
is a good editor. I've tried some of the Linux equivalents, e.g. Mozilla's
Compose, and FP is more reliable and has better functionality.  Remember to
separate "FrontPage the editor", from "Front Page the web site manager tool".
 But you are right, it's not a Linux tool and for that I wish there were one
that worked in Linux like FP works in Windows.  If I felt the Linux market
would support it, I would develop a FP clone for Linux,but I believe the
Linux market wants web-programming tools, not things like FP.

I hear assertions about how the editor produced bloated non-standard HTML.
but frankly I have no real evidence.   I've read HTML books, but never a book
on standards-based HTML.   I've not pursued it. I find that our sites work
fine in the various versions of IE, Netscape, Mozilla, and Galeon.  That's
all I've tested.  I don't expect any more.  I just want it to work and it
does.  I think it's a bit of a red herring issue.  I'm pretty sure it
complies to standards to a greater extent than hand-coding HTML would.  And
like I say, it's ability to move things around is really where you get a lot
of personal productivity improvements without coding.

I do know if you paste in Tables and Text from Word or Excel it's not
acceptable...adds all the formatting from Word/Excel into the HTML which is
usually not what I want. Hardly ever do that though, or if forced to I have
ways to over-come the problem with some macros a cleaver collegue wrote to
clean out the HTML from Office.  HTML from Word/Excel 97 (now 6 or 7 years
ago.."almost" before the Internet)  is really bloated. I don't know about
Office 2000 or Office XP.

I've not used or experienced Dreamweaver.  I suspect it has FP features.  I
used ColdFusion a very long time ago ... that also has surely changed, but
when I used it was for programming sites.

I'm into content and communication by web and other electronic means.  I know
all about the technology and the tools/programming, but at the end of the day
it's the content that matters to me.  FP helps us get content out faster and
more productively than any alternatives we looked at (considering the large
scope of the business processes we are involved in).

Re Win4Lin ... cost about US$70 as I recall.  VMWare is much more expensive.
Don't know much about it.  Win4Lin worth it for what I want (FrontPage,
Quicken, and occasional use of Word/PowerPoint/Excel).  Even makes Win 98 and
applications go much faster, "boots" faster, etc. etc. I could not get Wine
to work with Quicken, although it worked for Office.  Don't recall if I ever
tried FP or not becaus by then I alerady bought Win4Lin.  Win4Lin only works
if you already have Win 98 or 95 (which I do), but not with NT/2000/XP.
VMWare might work with NT/2000/XP--don't know and not planning to pursue this
anyway.

As mentioned, my new discovery is rdesktop on linux to run Window's app's
installed on an XP box on our network.  With that I don't need Win4Lin
anymore and may well move that direction (but not at priority). rdesktop is
open source (I believe ) and available from http://www.rdesktop.org

re sitecopy and rsynch ... keep in mind that rsynch is not an ftp-based tool,
and you (I think) need rsynch on the server also to make it work for web
publishing ...  they are both equivalent in functionality and bandwidth for
purposes of web publishing, but have to check if your web server can use it
to communicate with your box.  Just letting it rip for however long it takes
to me doesn't spell out any significant differences between sending only
changed files, or just sending individual parts of invidual changed files.
If a huge web site with lots of changes, then I can see it making an
economic/bandwidth difference.  but in this situation, you'd have probably a
dynamic site anyway.  There is also an NT equivalent of rsynch called
robocopy which is part of NT Resource Kit.