[Scottish] there's HTML then there's what FP produces

Ian Drake, IT, CIR, SE Dunbartonshire scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 3 16:50:01 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert(Rob) M. Schneider [mailto:rmschne@rmschneider.com]
Subject: Re: [Scottish] HTML templating software?

<SNIP>You don't have to use FrontPage "Editor".  Use any editor you like.
But it
is a good editor. </SNIP>
----

Don't get me wrong, I do like FP to a certain extent. It keeps users happy.
I do think that calling it a good editor is a stretch of the imagination
though. Whilst the code it produces "does what it says on the box" anyone
who has ever passed an FP created page through a tool like the W3 validator
will know that it doesn't write proper HTML. Simple things like <!DOCTYPE>
declarations are nowhere to be seen and it has a tendency to create code
that works but isn't strictly HTML. Like almost everything MS produce works
absolutely great when viewing with another MS app, but you won't always get
what you expected if you view it with a non-standard browser (i.e. IE works
fine, but YMMV with Mozzila).

What I tend to do is create the initial design in FP then manually edit and
correct the HTML using vi or jed (I'm anal, I ain't happy until the W3Val
says the code is 100% HTML)

</flamebait>

Rgds,

Ian