[Scottish] Reinstalling Grub Loader

Colin McKinnon scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Nov 20 10:32:00 2002

Allan Bruce wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>I had a problem with good ol windows which forced a reinstall, much fun.
>Anyway, XP has overwritten my grub loader as usual fro Microsoft.  I didnt
>make a backup disk, does anybody know how I can reinstall the grub loader?
>Thanks
>Allan

The easiest way to get your system up and running again is to boot up
from a rescue floppy or installation CD, but use your normal root
partition (NB you'll probably need the same or a later kernel than that
installed previously). Assuming it starts up with LILO and your previous
root partition was at hda2....
    lilo: linux root=/dev/hda2

(I can't remember the syntax for fudging a boot with a GRUB disk - but
it is possible - and described on the GRUB help page)

Logon as root, then run:
    grub-install /dev/hda

Note that you may need to tinker with the grub.conf settings after
you've got your Linux system back in order to boot XP now. If you're
stuck for a boot disk, it is possible to set up GRUB or LILO+kernel on a
floppy. Post here with details of your distro / kernel, and whether
you'll be attending next Thursday.

HTH

Colin