[Scottish] Project managment software

Robert (Rob) M. Schneider scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Oct 4 20:18:01 2002

Murat,

Mentioned by others, and the only one I have heard of or seen is MrProject.
see http://mrproject.codefactory.se.  It's in the very early days of
development.  They are heading in the right direction, but no telling when
they will get where.

If your need is to display gant charts, show some project logic
(predecessors), resource assignment, rudimentatry modelling, and some task
status reporting ... probably can do the job for you. It's open source GNOME
software. It's GPL.

Frankly, that's how I observe most people using even the more sophisticated
project management tools, e.g. Microsoft Project.  MS Project still is the
unsurpassed on the desktop for power and ubiquity.  It's high quality
software and provides all the key pm tools, modelling techniques, etc.  Other
vendors, e.g. Primavera, also focus on the windows-based market, far as I can
tell.

I use MS Project all the time on my Linux machine ... running Project 2002 in
Windows 98 via Win4Lin.  This way I get the "best" project management tool
with the "best" of other desktop tools.