[Scottish] Thursday Night Update (seriously off topic by now)

James Webster scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Oct 10 07:51:00 2002

There are, broadly speaking, two types of plates in the earth's
crust --- continental and oceanic.  The continental plates are,
basically, thicker than the oceanic ones (which is why they don't come
up above the sea).  The islands of Oceania are mostly eruptions or
growths (e.g. of coral) on oceanic crust and therefore probably not
continental.  The edge of most continental plates is marked by a rapid
increase in oceanic depth (the edge of the continental shelf).  IMHO the
continents are Europe, Asia, North America, South America, Africa,
Antarctica and Australasia (which is not completely coterminous with the
country of Australia and, despite the ending, hasn't got anything to do
with Asia).

This is what a colleague (a geography teacher told me).

James

ps.  Would this be the moment to mention India which is a
*sub-continent*?