Cheap PCs - was RE: [Scottish] Linux advocacy - $199 PC with Linux in USA

scottish@mailman.lug.org.uk scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Sep 8 11:13:01 2002

aidan wrote:
>       Old news we know (saw it on /. months ago), but has anyone
> seen one of these boxen in the UK? I've had two friends harassing
> me for sources of  cheap boxen in the last week,

Hi Aidan. Personally I'd be very wary of buying really cheap hardware
regardless of the OS (even before a friend of mine bought one of those
nasty little 'Patriot' boxes). I posted a list of some of the places we
get cheapo hardware from to the list a few weeks ago. With the exception
of bottom-of-the-range Compaq's and top-of-the-range hard disks although
we usually stick with branded boxes, I've got no qualms about buying 2nd
hand. Last time I looked GMC (www.gmcuk.com) had some nice laptops with
dodgy batteries going cheap. EuroPC (www.europc.co.uk) are also quite
handy, but a bit more $$

HTH