[Scottish] Re: Cheap PCs

Aidan Karley scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Sep 9 17:19:00 2002

In article <H000006600132631.1031482686.Lonmay.wew.co.uk@MHS>,  wrote:
> Personally I'd be very wary of buying really cheap hardware
> regardless of the OS (even before a friend of mine bought one of those
> nasty little 'Patriot' boxes). I posted a list of some of the places we
> get cheapo hardware from to the list a few weeks ago.
       A quick look through the stuff in my archive ...
       This one, on Aug 01?
<<I can recommend EuroPC in Govan (http://www.europc.co.uk) Also, if you
need to fill a classroom with PCs quickly, you might try GMC
(http://www.gmcuk.com).
[...] an auctioneers site http://www.goindustry.com/en/ >>

       Well the main guy who's harassing me for some kit told me yesterday
that the university is selling off old machines at £50 a go (from the old
place in the basement of the Edward Wright building on Don Street, if
anyone's interested). I'll have a look this afternoon - they close before
he gets out of the fish factory. That would be the laziest way of doing
things, and I'm nothing if not lazy <G>.

> With the exception
> of bottom-of-the-range Compaq's and top-of-the-range hard disks although
> we usually stick with branded boxes, I've got no qualms about buying 2nd
> hand. Last time I looked GMC (www.gmcuk.com) had some nice laptops with
> dodgy batteries going cheap. EuroPC (www.europc.co.uk) are also quite
> handy, but a bit more $$

       Nice laptops with dodgy batteries sounds interesting - after getting
my new laptop, I retired my old Tosh with the intention of putting it on
the network as a firewall on the modem line. ... but it died while I was
being lazy.
www.gmcuk.com sez:
> SALES HOTLINE: +44  (0) 1226 391111
> FAX: +44 (0) 1226 391000
> E-MAIL: sales@gmcuk.com
> LINES OPEN BETWEEN 9.30 am & 6.00 pm MON TO FRI
> SAT 11.00AM – 4.00PM EXCEPT BANK HOLIDAY WEEKENDS
> (Minimum Order £500)
> TRADE COUNTER OR COLLECT

       ... and http://www.gmcuk.com/map.htm tells me it's in Barnsley ...
Think I'll skip that one - above the range of stuff I'm involved with.

http://www.gmcuk.com/base.htm
> 14” SVGA COL MONS TO BE SOLD WITH BASE UNITS ONLY OR CONTAINER LOAD
> 21

       £21 for a container full of lead-rich glass. Hmmm. Pass. But they're
not joking about selling machines by the pallet-load, are they <G>?

--
 Aidan Karley,
 Aberdeen,  Scotland
 Bored? You will be at www.karley.org