[Scottish] Linux on RS/6000

Elwell, AD (Andrew) scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 1 10:06:01 2003

> Does anyone have any experience with this?  Any tips or pointers most
> welcome.

Um, a little bit. We currently have a fairly large* system of p690's running
aix 5L
which means that you can run linux PPC binaries on it. (oh, and they're now
called
P-Series not RS/6000)

Useful links include: http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/linux/

Most of the "normal" GNU utilities are available on the IBM website
(somewhere)

The only things I've noticed are that some of the apps don't seem
particularly
optimised for Power4.

The "new" package management wrapper (goes over the standard aix installp
also can
 be used to install RPMs (or you can do the rpm -Uvh ... as normal.

Feel free to drop me a note if I can help more.

Andrew

* "fairly large" = 9th largest at top500.org :-) http://www.hpcx.ac.uk