[Scottish] Linux on RS/6000

Michael Cameron scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 1 10:45:00 2003

>Feel free to drop me a note if I can help more.

Thanks.  I was looking at probably just overwriting AIX or perhaps dual
booting if possible.  I have a 44p model 170 (single 400Mhz power 3-11
processor, 512Mb RAM, 18Gb disk, GXT130P graphics adaptor) which most of the
time is switched off (since the fan appears to have been modelled on a small
helicopter judging by the noise) and was wondering what I might be able to
do with it.  My company were bought over by another hardware manufacturer
with their own Unix (and Linux) offerings and it is definitely not the done
thing to be running AIX.  I don't to actually spend any money on doing this
(cause it will be out of my pocket) so the "Enterprise edition" prices are
not what I want (Redhat's $3500 and Suse's "call for information" bearing in
mind the $749 price tag for x86).  I'll have a wee hunt around for some
downloads and any old list chatter and see what I come up with, I'm
certainly not the first to have tried this.

MC